Tuesday 5 August 2014

While I wasn't stacking wood and tidying up bits of tree today

I went up the garden to photograph a similar tree
whose crown is collapsing.
In its case, as well as old age,

this fungus at its base

may have something to do with the collapse.


The falling tree is taking down a young rowan in its wake as you can see from the horizontal thin trunk in the picture below

but the rowan is fighting back

with several shoots below the damage,

as is this one near a wood pile under the same tree.




I noticed pignut seed among golden meadow grass

and a fine patch of tormentil


I tried to focus on a busy bee,

noticed two tiny toadstools

and measured a piece of bracken!

This piece of bracken, over 3.25metres tall, was growing under the falling tree, striving for light. In the picture below you can see how I anchored the tape measure with a screwdriver, which reminds me: I haven't put that away yet!



I noticed some shiny bluebell seeds

and then I came in and poured a long G&T.
Better go and put the tape measure and screwdriver away now I've cooled down.

No comments:

Post a Comment