Tuesday 26 August 2014

Six barras of wood, a moth, a newt, and a fungus or two

Lovely day today so I decided to finish shifting the pile of wood by the old rowan–pieces of rhododendron and goat willow that I sawed and piled several years ago. It's not the best firewood but with a bit of help it should burn allright this winter.


When I pulled the blue cover away I noticed what looked like an etiolated white fungus:


Then I noticed the little stripey beastie next to it–a newt. There was a tiny one too but it ran away before I could photogragh it. Nice find.


Trundling my wheelbarrow of wood down the garden, partly to stack neatly in the den to use in the stove in there over the winter, I noticed some other fungi and a pretty moth beside one of them. It seems that keeping a look out for fungi makes you notice other interesting things too. Firewood pics first...

One of the den piles

Part of the wood (two barrows) I just tipped haphazardly straight out of the wheelbarrow onto the ridiculous hearth in our living-room (we did not install it but we did install the stove). We've begun to feel the need of an evening fire lately.





I chucked the damper pieces at the side of the woodshed–there is a space at the right hand side next to my mega-NEAT pile of fresh cypress and eucalyptus that still needs to dry out a bit before we can use it. There is more cypress (like the bottom stripe) to go in before we stack this winter's fuel, but Toad hasn't finished splitting the logs yet. It's a bit by bit process like much else at the Boggy Brae. He has discovered that the cypress logs are getting easier to split as they dry a little. The eucalyptus was easiest when very 'green'.


So, here are some other wee fungi, and the moth





ME payback is telling me to go and have a nap now, so more of this morning's boggy brae bumblings anon.

No comments:

Post a Comment