Wednesday 6 August 2014

Bees and Balsam

Getting a bit arty farty with Himalayan Balsam which lines the lanes and has captured the edges of the copse.


I was trying, initially, to get a decent picture of the bee below. The results aren't great but I think it might be a Common Carder Bee (happy to be corrected by Someone Who Knows). There were dozens of them in and out of the balsam flowers. Yes, I know it's an invasive alien plant, but the bees love it. I do pull it up in the boggy brae garden but there is a lot in the field next door and down the lane and I can't spend my entire life pulling HB. Besides, aren't we supposed to be helping bees these days?





Then while Toad was splitting logs and I was stacking them a little shrew appeared out of the pile of dismantled tree. Toad managed to get some quick pics with my camera that he is unused to but boy did the shrew scamper fast!

Shrew spotted

Shrew bounding

Shrew bounding again

Shrew doing the buggering off

I've only seen dead ones on the boggy brae before. Nice to know some of them thrive!

And finally, for today, we have notice of autumn. I love the changing seasons.



No comments:

Post a Comment