Monday 24 November 2014

The hedge in the top west corner

Spiraea hedge
The spiraea hedge in the top west corner of the garden is not going to be an elongated rectangle. It's going to be less than a metre deep from front to back in the west corner (on the right of the photo), about three metres deep from front to back at the end nearest to us in the photo, and somewhere in between those measurments along its roughly ten metre length, with a couple of large 'scoops' taken out of it along the way. I still have some roots lower down the slope to dig out. A robin came and watched as I was doing that this morning. Toad thinks that robins think we humans are just like wild pigs the way we turn over soil and ground debris releasing lovely edible grubs for them to eat. Nice to feel useful that way. I also still have to tidy up the hedge with the hedge cutter, then I need to tackle another grey sallow that needs pruning.

During my diggings up of spiraea roots, I found quite a few bluebell bulbs, which I replanted. They have not flowered in previous years in this part of the garden but perhaps giving them a bit of 'breathing space' might encourage them. I hope so.

Today's favourite rotting fence post





Just to the left of the hedge pic is today's
favourite bryophytically enhanced fence post.

And further along from that was a rotting log of grey sallow on which is growing today's fungus. I think it might be a tooth fungus but don't quote me on that.

Scrambling among the grey sallows' several trunks is lots of honeysuckle. I noticed it had new green shoots already, even before this all year's leaves have fallen off. The large beech tree up the hill in the wood is bare but the hazels still have some leaves. What can the Woodland Trust have meant about hazel having had an exceptionally early leaf drop this year? That certainly hasn't been the case here, nor in the other parts of Argyll I've been in lately. Last Friday I drove to Inveraray and there were hazels with leaves all the way there and back along Loch Long and Loch Fyne, lots of them.
Honeysuckle–old leaves and young shoots


No comments:

Post a Comment