Monday 3 November 2014

Cutting back spiraea and grey sallow

The west corner of the Boggy Brae garden
I'm doing some weeding in the top west corner of the Boggy Brae garden. It is overgrown with grey sallow and spiraea. The grey sallow is getting some hefty pruning and the spiraea I'm cutting back and pulling out to within a yard of the fence. Those stems of spiraea in the middle of this pic are 10 metres from the fence. They would carry on encroaching if they weren't 'discouraged' a little.


a wood pile of grey sallow



In the process I'm making a woodpile. Some of it may make decent firewood eventually and in the meantime I can study the mosses and fungi that grow on the wood.






a pile of spiraea stems and the thinner grey sallow branches
I'm putting the spiraea stems (some of them over three metres long) just over the fence where there is an odd little corner in the now unused field access track–well, deer use it and so do I to get to the burn this way:

I haven't decided whether I'll just let it rot down or make a bonfire of it next summer. In the meantime, it's quite a good trampoline! This is it after I jumped up and down and rolled on it a few times. It's quite springy!
Spiraea and grey sallow trimmings

part of a bed among the spiraea stems



And talking of springs, I found part of an old bed among the spiraea stems. I need to cut back another metre or so of the hedge to get it out. This is the second old bed I've found. I suppose they can just muddle in with the fencing and rust gently away.






When I went out just now to pace the extent of the spiraea's encroachment, I found some new outcrops of fungi, including this interesting one. I wonder if it's in the group called coral fungi?



I've also been shifting wood, kindly split yesterday while we were at archery practice, by some very good neighbours two fields away who have a log-splitter.

some of the monstrous cypress logs split to manageable pieces by kind friends




They even stacked some of it by the shed. Now I just have to deal with this lot below–stack the split pieces and sort out what from the right hand pile below will be useful. Plenty of sawing practive for me this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment