Tuesday 1 January 2019

New Year's morning 2019

I woke up before dawn (as usual in winter) and cast off the second sleeve of a jumper I've been knitting (or rather not knitting) for several years. Now it's just a case of sewing the pieces together and knitting the neckline. It might even be finished before the end of the year ;-). It'll be my New Lanark jumper because that's where I bought the wool. The pattern I used, which I'd had for over twenty years before finding what felt like the right wool for it, is Jaeger 6121D from 1989.




After breakfast number two, and with a little help from Toad shifting cut wood, I also finished the current stretch of dragon hedge slaying. The wheelbarrow and the electric crocodile dragon slayer are in the pics for scale, and woodpile 'n', where n is a large positive integer, is sorted.




In my back and knee stretching breaks I enjoyed the greenness of the mossy end of the front bank and at one point I strolled over to the self-planted hazel in the corner to see its bright but as yet unopened catkins against the blue sky. 




Under where the roe deer chewed the bark off one stem, lots of young shoots have sprung up. I might need to learn how to use them for basket making.


Now I'm ready for a big bowl of "Slater Soup" — Nigel Slater's tomato, bean and bacon stew from p163 of his book Real Food. I substituted some leftover cooked minced beef for the bacon and used red kidney beans as well as cannellini. It is very good winter food.

No comments:

Post a Comment