Wednesday 30 January 2019

A pretty day and a few hellos



Such a pretty day of squeaky snow today—a thin layer which, when you step on it, 'gives' and compacts with a satisfying soft sound.

And I learned the names of two people I often see on my way home from work, plus that of the dog of one of them. The dog lady has remarked before that her lovely golden retriever seems to want to walk with me rather than with her! I'm sure it doesn't but I'm allowed to join the pack temporarily. Thank you, Dog Amber!

The other person's name I learnt today belongs to an old man who is sometimes on the same bus down the loch as me. A few weeks ago he started waving to me after I'd got off and as the bus pulled away. I would wave back. Then I started to look for him when I got on the bus. He usually sits quite far back and I usually sit quite far forward as mine is quite a short journey. I began to give him a wave if he was there. Today I thought it was time to introduce myself, so I did.

I've made a few bus friends. Some people seem always to have an open smile so if you end up sitting next to them, chat will start. Since I grew up in Lancashire, where chat starts very easily with strangers, such casual conversation-making runs in my blood. Then you get to know those people better if you see them regularly. One woman who gets on the same bus as me every Monday now saves me a seat!

No comments:

Post a Comment