Wednesday 14 May 2014

On the old road to Largs

(click pics for larger view)

On the old road to Largs yesterday, over the moors of the Clyde Muirshiel Regional Park, I stopped to eat my butties and to look back.


This is looking back across the southern part of Loch Thom towards the Old Largs Road

and this is looking north towards the mountains within spitting distance of where I live. On the right are the rounded hills either side of Glen Fruin. Above the radio mast (I presume that's what it is anyway; happy to be corrected by them as know!), and just to the right of it is Beinn Ime, with The Cobbler in front of it and Beinn Narnain to the right of both.


Over the Muirshiel watershed and looking across Noddsdale

Down the dale a wee bit and the Isle of Arran in the Firth of Clyde hoves into view

Noddsdale

A tin shed and a gate
 This time I went for a walk up the hill above Outerwards Reservoir. Loved the gate

and the view down the reser to the Firth and the island of Great Cumbrae. On the hill there is a newish plantation of native deciduous trees such as hawthorn, birch, alder, oak, rowan and ash





The hillside was as boggy as the boggy brae but I come prepared for bogginess

Down at the burn again I rummaged about looking for wild flowers.

Among the primroses, king cups, greater stitchwort and other wild flowers, I found one that is a favourite: Water Avens. The flowers were not yet open. Clearly, I'll have to check them out next week. I think it's allowed for one to collect some seed from wild plants, though not to dig up plants. I'll check and if it's allright, I think I need to go back in the autumn with a little seed pot. I managed to grow Water Avens in our Oxfordshire garden, surprisingly as it was a much dryer place; I'd love to get it going at the boggy brae. We have its cousin, Wood Avens, otherwise known as Herb Bennet.


No comments:

Post a Comment