Friday 30 May 2014

Flower hunt

I went out to spray Japanese knotweed with glyphosate. It's a noble plant but not native and extremely invasive, destructive even. I climbed into the field to walk down our side fence checking and spraying, then came round the front by the field lane. I was very excited to find a bunch of Water Avens on the side bank and a single plant of Pink Purslane, which I haven't seen for years. I enjoyed the afternoon light through a buttercup growing with horsetails, noticed that Wood Sorrel is still flowering on the front garden wall, and lastly I laughed aloud at the cheekiness of Bog Stitchwort peeping round the edges of Monkey Flower leaves. there weren't many Monkey Flowers last year so I'm pleased to see lots of plants getting ready to flower very soon.

Water Avens (Geum rivale)

Very pale Water Avens (Geum rivale)

Pink Purslane (Montia sibirica)

Pink Purslane (Montia sibirica)


Buttercup and horsetail
in the afternoon light

Wood Sorrel (Oxalis acetosella)

Bog Stitchwort beside Monkey Flower leaves


No comments:

Post a Comment