Thursday 9 January 2014

Hanging out of windows in my dressing gown

And tramping about the garden in PJs, dressing-gown, sheepskin gilet, Muck boots and hat. We have had a longish spell of greyness and wetness so it was exciting to see some blue sky as the sun rose, to hear my boots crunching on frosted grass, and later, as I got my breakfast ready, to have actual sunshine shedding a golden light horizontally into the kitchen. I can fully understand the excitement even more northern people must feel when the sun begins to return to them each winter. Divingdaughter said that when she lived in Sweden people would go and stand with their backs to outdoor walls and their faces to the sun when this happened there. You can see why the sun was thought of as a god in past times.

So... this morning I tramped about the garden light catching and leant out of windows enjoying sunshine in temperatures just above freezing. Hardly noticed the cold. Click pics to enlarge them.

From up the garden

From up the garden


From the landing window, looking at the frosty roof window of the lean-to 'den'

Landing window

Looking north from my bedroom window through silver birch

North-west

East




While in the garden I enjoyed the juxtaposition of old leaves and new buds, dewdrops on fences, and the glow of Ribes sanguineum against a blue sky.









Planning to do a little log-splitting and stacking today.

No comments:

Post a Comment