Tuesday 28 January 2014

Digging a wee drain

I've been digging a wee drain this morning. This picture, taken in December, shows how soggy the back terrace can be when there's a lot of rain which, since this is the west of Scotland, is a lot of the time. Technically, the terrace is gravel but you wouldn't know! One of these years I suppose I should hire a digger, scrape all the many years' accumulation of gunk that natural hill drainage and seepage brings down through the holding wall, and start again with the gravel idea.


So here is my boot and part of my drain. The significance of the hose pipe is zero. It just happens to be there. I used it when I'd finished mudding about to clean my tools.



Water trundling down the hill. I used the mud and stones I dug up to pack around the base of the Green Cone. We think a rat got in there and that one of the local cats got the rat.


Here you can see how a kerb stone/doorstep was blocking the drainage on that side of the terrace. I dug down to make a gap. It should help. If not, I guess I'll need a pick-axe or sledge-hammer to break a bit off the stone at that end.

Paused for a break. It's a bonny day compared to the solid wet grey we have been having recently.

Drainage past my new wood pile. It was tramping about here to make the pile that made me realise how badly a bit of drainage was needed.


The almost but not quite finished eucalyptus (and a bit of cherry) wood pile


















No comments:

Post a Comment