Sunday 2 December 2018

Hedge hacking continues

I didn't quite fill the bucket with dead rhododendron sticks during this morning's hedge hacking stint. Only two or three metres still to go to get the main stretch down to knee height so that I can trim it with the hedge cutter more easily. Shoulder height is too much of a strain with the weight of the hedge cutter.

Filling the old, leaky mop bucket with small sticks good for kindling and adding bigger branches and fresh cut pieces to the woodpile for future firewood is how it goes. I'm also making piles that are still in leaf do deal with later. So far I've filled a whole coal bag (they seem to drop off the local coal lorries regularly! If I find them I pick them up and bring them home) and started another.
That woodpile pic was taken about a week ago. It's more extensive now.




I also collected, as you see, that tube thingy that Toad had apparently 'planted' (chucked off the roof that he was repairing) below the den 😉. It could be a good plant marker for one of next year's orchids.








Before being driven inside again by rain I topped up my wildflower count for the week. There's a challenge on Twitter to find #thewinter10 for #wildflowerhour (8–9pm Sundays). I've found well over ten during the last three weeks. It will be interesting to see how the count progresses through the winter. Here's a compilation of a few phone pics from this week and my list of seventeen.

No comments:

Post a Comment