Thursday 11 May 2017

Yellow azaleas

One of three yellow azaleas that grow on the front bank, from my bedroom window early on 3 May. This is the left-most one looked at from the house. To its right is one that is the same and to that one's right is one that's different. I'm going to call this and its partner Azalea1 and the third, different one, Azalea2.

Azalea1 flowers before Azalea2 by a week or so but they are all in flower together for some time. The cut through the shrub you can see in the photo is where I've cut a passage through them so that I can walk along the bank on the level. Otherwise it's a bit of a scramble and there's a danger of stepping on daffodils and snowdrops, which would never do!

Azalea1 has brownish buds and Azalea2 has geen buds. Today I had a closer look at their flowers and noted differences there too.



Azalea1 on the left, 2 on the right.



And again, Az1 left, Az2 right. Az1 might be said to be 'yellower' (I get confused about chroma and hue; I think most people will understand what I mean by 'yellower'!). Az2 is paler and its upper petal has an interesting pattern of darker yellow.
The anthers of Az2 are darker than those of Az1.

There. Sorted.

If anyone feels inclined to instruct me on the difference between chroma and hue, please feel free. Toad has tried!

No comments:

Post a Comment