Saturday 27 May 2017

Bee house under the step

Looking south from back door yesterday afternoon

There are very few days when it's warm enough to sit outside to eat one's muesli. Yesterday was one such. I put one of my sit-upon-ery mats on the middle stone step at the front and enjoyed the morning. Looking down to the bottom step–a rough slab of conglomerate added after some house settling, I think–I saw a small bumblebee disappear 'into' the step. I had noticed it had an arch in previous years but hadn't seen anything going into the hole.

the rough conglomerate step



The first pic shows where the bee went in. A bee came out of the other end of the step (second pic) several times. Whether it was one bee or several I don't know. I didn't get any pics of the actual bee.
I wondered, sitting there munching muesli, whether I should mow the back terrace yet but decided to wait a bit. The primroses that have seeded themselves from elsewhere in the garden onto the terrace haven't fnished flowering and making seed yet.




The photo below is of a small bit of the back terrace where bugle and ferns grow on and near the retaining wall.







No comments:

Post a Comment