Wednesday 31 May 2017

Rhododendron Up Top

If you squinted and strained your neck the newly flowering rhododendron up at the top of the garden was just visible between some sallow branches trunks which were only not lying on the ground under their own top-heaviness because a couple of birch trees were propping them up.

sallow leaning on birch
This morning I decided to cut them down so that I'd have a clear view to UpTop Rhodo from the back door. They were even heavier than I expected. I felled all four but there are still three to cut up into more manageably sized pieces. That's for another day.

Elsewhere in the garden white flowers apart from pignut are showing up brightly. Clockwise from top left: a white foxglove, white clover, a white bell-flower than came from I know not where but which is very welcome, and Libertia grandiflora, another welcome self-introduced plant. Three years ago it had three flowering shoots, last year six, and this year sixteen. I hope it spreads.


Another pic of UpTop's flowers and the view east from it:



No comments:

Post a Comment