Thursday 2 March 2017

Gorse revival

 A shop I sometimes go to is right next to a railway track and the railway track is right next to the sea. After my shop I usually sit and drink my coffee in the car park staring at the sea and the clouds, watching gulls and crows. In February last year I photographed this scraggy looking gorse plant (see below) and wondered if it would flower. Well it did (see left), a year later.

same gorse plant a year ago
In the rough, gravelly ground on the nearer side of the rail track fence is what I think is a subspecies of wild radish, << Raphanum raphanistrum subsp. maritimus. I'll have to keep an eye on its flowering to be certain. Also in the rough ground were these other leaf rosettes:



The daisy and clover are easily recognised but I don't know what the other two are. The thistly rosette doesn't seem prickly enough to be a thistle and the other makes me think of chamomile... Let's just hope nobody does any weeding before they flower.

And then there was this moss. I might snaffle a sample next time I shop there.

No comments:

Post a Comment