Thursday 23 March 2017

DPR = Deep Pink Rhododendron

DPRs flowering April 2007
The first spring we were here, there were two deep pink rhododendron shrubs. I don't know their official name so I call them the DPRs. We acquired a hammock that matched the flowers. Toadlet and her friend sat and swung in it quite a lot.

DPR is a profuse flowerer
I like the effect of its dropped flowers too.

DPR lawn

Upper DPR in flower; 3 squiggley trunks of the lower one. April 2016

A few years ago the lower of the two shrubs died. I had thought that its triple trunk was strangling a holly tree that was growing from the same spot, but it seems that it was the holly tree that was strangling the rhododendron.


March 2017
I cut away the dead branches but left the trunks to dry out. I think they are a nice natural garden sculpture. At some point I daresay we'll chop them up and use them as firewood, like the old collapsed wild cherry tree behind them. That blew down during what was officially called Hurricane Friedhelm (and unofficially, by Scots, Hurricane Bawbag) in December 2011.


No comments:

Post a Comment