Thursday 7 July 2016

Rattling down and casting on

The largest hat box contained the completed back of a jumper and about a third of the front. The front has been static for several years because I made a mistake. I thought for a while I could just fudge it (my usual approach) but I couldn't bring myself to end up with an asymmetrical pattern even though probably no-one except me (and maybe DerbyshireDaughter) would notice it. I also couldn't bear to rip the knitting out! So it has sat in a box for a long time! The other day I started unravelling (don't worry, the back is still complete!) and ended up with a tight ball. I might skein it and wash out the wrinkles in due course.


Meanwhile the front is cast on again from a loose ball (produced on the nineteenth century spinning mule at New Lanark) and sections marked with electric toothbrush marker rings. As you do. New Lanark has a lovely walk up to the Falls of Clyde and claims to have started the world's first ever nursery school. Check out New Lanark and its reforming mill manager from 1800, Robert Owen.

Also found my long lost needle gauge and some tatting I must have done decades ago.

There is clearly something to be said for having a hat box tidy-up! Good thing to do on a rainy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment