Sunday 22 May 2016

Two combs

Yesterday my comb snapped. The light coloured one is actually older than the darker one but less used until recently because it fell down the back of a heavy chest of drawers which I only shift very occasionally to get at spider silk and dust. I had started using it again recently because the darker one is getting worn.

I went for wood originally because my hair seems to 'statickify' (!) very easily and I thought wood would limit that tendency. It did.

The tines of the darker comb, as well as wearing down in that characteristic way, are looking less robust in parts too, so I think I'll have to do some comb shopping sooner or later. Did a quick google of wooden combs and was slightly horrified at some of the prices!

Maybe I should go for a reindeer horn one. Check out this research about Viking combs by Steve Ashby at York University.

No comments:

Post a Comment