Sunday 22 May 2016

Red Campion versus roe deer

A couple of days ago I spotted the first Boggy Brae Red Campion flower. If you click on the photo to enlarge it you'll see that there are bitten off stalks. This is why the flowering is so late compared with other places.

This morning, when I went to the wash-house for milk from the fridge there, I spotted a roe doe chomping away at the fresh Red Campion leaves. I took a photo through the spider silky window and then opened the door so that she trotted away.


I really like a good display of Red Campion so it's irritating to have it so chomped. A couple of years ago it flowered abundantly near where the doe is standing from April right through to the end of October. Last year and this year no chance! I guess the deer population is at a high point and I need to get out more chicken wire.

No comments:

Post a Comment