Tuesday 24 May 2016

In the garden today

I protected the Sedum telephium from gobbling deer so they ate the Sedum rosea instead, all of it except one flower in a different place from the two main clumps.

Apple blossom has shown up on the old, old apple tree. If it fruits at all, the local jays come and eat the small apples complete with the wee beasties inside them. The branch that's propping the tree up (and has probably rooted where it is) has blossom on it only about 30-40cm above the ground.

Geraniums and Welsh poppies are flowering, and there is more Germander Speedwell than in previous years. I'm happy about that. My Welsh poppies are all orange. All the other (very many!) Welsh poppies that grow on the peninsula where I live are yellow, and those growing from seed I sent to a friend last year are growing yellow too! She wants some orange ones and I want some yellow ones.

The last primroses are in a shady corner, London Pride has begun to flower, there are buds on the heavily pruned Woodshed Rose, and Fringe Cups (Tellima grandiflora) that is growing out of a wall is flowering.

Aquilegia has begun to flower and I'm still trying for the perfect "I walk on daisies as I step out .the door" shot.

Time for tea and some nutty, seedy flapjack that I made this morning, I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment