Thursday 2 July 2015

Stoneymollan

Yesterday, the hottest day of the year here so far, I did a walk from Cardross to Balloch over Stoneymollan with my friend, Sonja. There was a pleasant breeze on the moorland so most of the time it didn't feel too hot. We were wisely hatted against the worst the sun could do.

On the way up we passed an old farmstead, still inhabited apparently but very much run down and a veritable museum of old farm waggons and machinery.


Once up on the moor we saw very few people – one man and his two very healthy-looking dogs and, coming down towards Balloch a family or two coming up. It was a hazy day but the view across Loch Lomond to 'The Ben', Ben Lomond, was still lovely to see. Sonja thought that the even hazier peak to the right of The Ben was Scheihallion, which she last climbed one New Year's Eve some years ago.

A hazy Ben Lomond from Stoneymollan moor
Looking eastwards across the south end of Loch Lomond

Coming down the old drove road into Balloch we loved this line of old beeches alongside the track. The well trodden track is quite narrow now though it was obvious from the banks that it had once been wide enough for two carts to pass or, more probably, for a large herd of cattle.




We repaired to the Tullie Inn by Balloch Station for refreshment. I took off my boots and resolved in future to carry a pair of Crocs in my rucksack so that I don't have to put the boots back on for the train journey home! I sampled the chocolate fudge cake (testing, testing...). It was good but not as generous a portion as I had at the Ardencaple. Service was good though so I'd recommend the place for snackeroos  (and bigger meals).

No comments:

Post a Comment