Wednesday 15 July 2015

Foxglove and haymaking welly wander




The field I usually mention lies to the south-east of the Boggy Brae garden and is visible to us. Yesterday evening a lot of noise was coming from the north-west so I went to see if hay-making was in progress. It was.

To see this I have to go up to the top of the garden, along the ever more overgrown lane that runs behind it between our fence and the burn, over the remains of a railway sleeper bridge across the burn where it starts its steep descent down to the soundings, and into wild patch of land.






The little wild patch was full of foxgloves


and what I think are chanterelle mushrooms.






The woods above are looking their summer best.


Juxtaposition: foxglove, fence, fallen tree

I climbed back into our garden over the pile of spiraea stem I made last autumn in the western corner. It still has its bouncy springiness. As I wandered down behind the fallen eucalyptus – in order to check if the beech seedlings are still okay (they are, possibly because hidden from deer chompings by some dock plants) – I saw that the first of the Peruvian Lilies are opening.

That and the blooming of the woodshed rose means summer has finally arrived on the Boggy Brae.

woodshed rose
I think I'll go up there again today and do a sniff and taste test on a tiny bit of mushroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment