Saturday 28 March 2015

Some writing of Toadlet's from ten years ago

yearbook

I bought this Year Book on a visit to Sulgrave Manor in 1991







I've used the notebook to record sightings, often first sightings of the year, of birds, butterflies and flowers. Yesterday, when I entered my first sighting of a peacock butterfly and hawthorn budburst at the Boggy Brae ("Brsd" in the notebook. The other places mentioned, "Lottie", which was my allotment, "WH", and "309W", are all places in Oxfordshire), I noticed an entry by Toadlet. I think it was actually 2005 but the numerals 5 and 3 are easily mixed up when you're four and a half, as she would have been in March 2005 and when she also would have been able to write about poppies. She made some other entries that year too. Birthdays were clearly important!





The Ruth whose birthday that was wrote to her granny about my "bfdy" at a similar age.








I think the reference to crocuses is my favourite. There is one about Daiys (daisies) in 2004, on reading which I decided Toadlet was just making the dates up all along!

Still, the entries probably were from 2005. We've never had any red crocuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment