Saturday 11 April 2015

Visit to Chatsworth, Derbyshire




Stable block at Chatsworth House
Even the stable block at Chatsworth is overwhelmingly opulent. I always want to be a time-travelling 'fly on the wall' and see such places in action during their heyday. Failing that, I decided to concentrate on details and let the excessive opulence wash over me.






I enjoyed the "Do not sit on the chairs" signs everywhere:

There were also modern seats one was allowed to sit on.
Zigzag chair
Chair made of US half dollars

This chaise longue was behind a rope barrier in a room where the curtains were drawn, presumably to prevent further fading of the bed clothes. The curtains, sorry, drapes, were lavish everywhere.

Really rather OTT for my taste

Toadlet liked the chandeliers.



I liked floor details.

We both liked the library 


and various other bits and bobs, if "bits and bobs" can ever be applied to such richesse!
Nice pot

Nice flag
Nice wee teapot and fan plates
Nice carpet
Nice fence
Nice slate path
All terribly 'nice' but I wouldn't like to live in such a place now. Admittedly I probably wouldn't have minded back in the day when the alternative was abject poverty!


No comments:

Post a Comment