Monday 20 October 2014

Rusty Swan-neck Moss

A while ago I thought I had identified a moss as Broom Fork Moss. Today I found another sample of that moss in another place and I think I was mistaken then and it is in fact Rusty Swan-neck Moss (Campylopus flexuosus)





<< This is one of the photos I posted up at the end of August.



Below is today's photo. Shoots of the Rusty Swan-neck Moss are at the extreme left and extreme right of the picture.

Both samples have the required matted reddish rhizoids.

30Aug2014

20Oct2014



Today I went and got another sample from the original spruce log and compared it with the new sample, which is also on a rotting log but I don't know what kind of wood it is. Delighted to find a curved over seta, which is what I presume the swan-neck of the name refers to. I think the seta straightens up a bit as the capsule ripens but still preserves some swan-neckiness!




The black blob on the capsule is a bit of muck and not significant (except as muck). I was glad to get some rhizoid and the capsule's 'hat' in the same pic. The hat is called a calyptra.







I decided to blog this info because today's discovery means I have to delete my record for #boggybraemoss 14 and put another in its place. I've already recorded Rusty as moss number 28. So this is my reminder to post my next species as #boggybraewild as 162, not 208, as it would be if I hadn't made the mistake. That makes sense to me even if doesn't make sense to anyone else!

UPDATE at 1935 on 20 Oct 2014
As it happens, I had used number 161 twice so could use bbw162 for one of those. So the next moss up–photos anon– is Cypress-leaved Plait-moss/Hypnum cupressiforme which will be bbw208, bbmoss14.

No comments:

Post a Comment