Saturday 18 October 2014

An early welly wander between showers


 The clouds were scudding by fast this morning when I wandered up the garden and over the fence into the field to watch what was visible of the sunrise.



There would clearly be some more rain soon but before it came I climbed over the forest fence, stepped over the burn...









...and found a new moss: Greater Fork Moss (Dicranum majus), a relative, I suppose, of Dicranum scoparium that grows in the garden.

Dicranum scoparium
Broom Fork Moss










Where I stepped over the burn is quite narrow. just a little further down, where it turns to run steeply downhill and into the sea, it is wider and, at the moment, gushier and noisier.








Walking back across the field I noticed this goo slime mould, or whatever it is. There were
several patches of it.











Just before doing my scissor step over the garden fence, I found a typical Boggy Brae sycamore leaf with its decoration of Sycamore Tarspot fungus, which is a sign of clean air. I like the brown and black together, and the different brown tones of the paler gilled fungus on the brown leaf above.



My trundle down the garden included checking up on the ever larger crop of Hare's Foot Inkcaps (Coprinopsis lagopus) on an old compost heap. On the young yew tree next to the heap I spotted a single berry. Couldn't see any others.

Yew berry
<< Hare's Foot Inkcaps

No comments:

Post a Comment