Tuesday 17 December 2013

The morning wakes up well














The day has woken up splendidly so it's time to go and do some outdoor work. Muck boots, check; two pairs of gloves, check; Hebridean bonnet, check. I'm out the door.



Did some sawing and shredding of the fallen eucalyptus tree then, when I needed a break from that, I wandered around with my camera looking for snowdrop leaf shoots and more daff shoots if any.


Found some snowdrop shoots on the north side of the front terrace wall and under some decaying ferns. Maybe the daffs didn't beat them after all.




I've identified this as Neat Feather-moss (Pseudoscleropodium purum). The entire northern corner of the  front bank under the silver birch tree is 'lawned' with it with small amounts of springy turf moss interspersed, and a wee bit of grass.

The red-stemmed moss is Springy Turf Moss

 Here's a small part of the mossy bank




 On the terrace wall, wedged between rocks, the reflexed stonecrop is looking winter healthy.









I thought these dried Self-heal heads looked nice

 Dried self-heal heads with Tamarisk Moss and Springy Turf Moss
Yellow among the green Escallonia leaves

Then I came in for some root soup. Recipe on the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment