Wednesday 30 November 2016

A sweet basket and some pelargoniums

It was my birthday yesterday and a friend sent me the sweetest little basket in the world. Check out the maker, Lois Walpole's, website.

beauty out of detritus

Since it was a dryish day and the pond level was low, I spent some time pulling gunk out of it. I liked the tree reflections.
pond reflecting
Then I spent some time on one of my favourite activities, pulling dead wood out of hedges. All but a few twigs of this are fuchsia wood. Nice to know it's not immortal. I must try and discover how to kill some more. Boggy Brae fuchsia is invasive and monstrous. We're not dealing with sweet little hanging basket plants here!

sticks for kindling
I bought some pelargoniums earlier in the year. The Lord Bute turned his toes up and fell into a mortal decline. P. Ardens has a fungal infection but since I stopped speaking to her she seems to be making an effort. She's the one on the right. I've just discovered that she is "flat-growing" so I guess a hanging basket would suit her well. The other two, moving leftwards, are 'Pauline Harris' and 'Ruth Lesley' and seem to be coming along allright.

Meanwhile, I've taken cuttings from a plant a friend gave me and shoved them into plant pots containing other plants. In good Boggy Brae style, the cuttings are now being vigorous.

No comments:

Post a Comment