Tuesday 23 February 2016

Mouse invasion

I have spent a good chunk of the morning spring cleaning a kitchen cupboard because when I went to get out flour and sugar to make muffins (apple and milk chocolate chips), I noticed a mess! Several bags of flour had been ripped open at their bottom corners and flour spilled. Not a lot but enough to arouse my suspicions.

I commented to Toad, who is at home this week, that there were no droppings. He said: "Constipated mice, then". Then I noticed that they hadn't gone for the icing sugar. His comment? "They've been watching the telly and know sugar's bad for them."

Since he was planning to go round the loch for primer and base coat paints for various walls, I gave him a grocery shopping list. Because of the damage to the flour bags, he asked if he should buy flour too. "Nah", says I, "it's all going in a hot oven. I think we'll survive if we eat it". Toad left, looking slightly alarmed. It'll be interesting to see if he can resist the muffins ;)

The flour is in mouse-proof containers now or cupboards inaccessible to mice and mouse traps (instantly effective and therefore humane ones) will be primed with peanut butter tonight. Next door's cats are not earning their keep. Sorry, mice. You are very welcome in the garden but not in the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment