Friday 1 January 2016

A New Year walk in search of wild flowers

Reflections in a puddle
Blogger has decided to put what was to have been my last picture in first place. It does this sometimes; no idea why. Since it is today's favourite, I'm leaving it where it is. The beginning of the blog post is below!



The new year began cold enough for a little frost, and hazy.

I decided to go for a wander in search of flowering plants for the New Year Plant Hunt of the Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland (BSBI). There is not much in flower here at the moment but what isn't flowering is important too in these recordings.

I found Common Gorse, one bunch of Bramble flowers, and two sorry-looking specimens of Common Cat's-ear.

Common Gorse
Bramble
Common Cat's-ear





















In the wooded parts of where I walked, the leaves of Wood Sorrel were noticeable, but no flowers. I saw a few Lesser Celandine plants among the dead bracken; again, no flowers yet.

Leaves of Lesser Celandine
bright green against the bracken
A few haws remain of the hawthorns



Fallen larch twig with holly

Ivy


At the bottom of the field on my way home, I found some dead telegraph poles. A couple of years ago electricity cables were put underground. It has saved the electricity companies having to get teams out in ferocious winter weather to reconnect people's power supplies when the lines got blown down or when trees fell on them. This used to happen a lot. In the first years or so of living here we experienced more power cuts during bad weather than we'd collectively experienced in our entire lives before that.
Wandering back along the lane, I enjoyed reflections and worm casts in puddles. See above!


No comments:

Post a Comment