Thursday 25 June 2015

A Fissidens Moss

I found a Fissidens moss (my first) in the bare earth where the Wayfarer used to be. It has proved tricky to exactly pinpoint the species.

It has a "distinct bend" in its nerve, which characteristic is only mentioned in the blurb about F. celticus (Welsh Pocket-moss which also grows in the west of Scotland), but I found capsules with my sample and apparently F. celticus doesn't produce capsules.

showing "distinct bend" in the leaf nerve



If the photo to the left is enlarged by clicking on it it's possible to see that the leaves are bordered which also rules out F. celticus.

I wondered about F. curnovii (Curnov's Pocket-moss) because of rhizoids in the mud that looked slightly reddish under the microscope. However, they could just be a bright brown. F. curnovii is said to have a more heavily thickened border than F. bryoides which it ressembles. I wouldn't describe the leaf borders I could see as heavily anything.


And so I am plumping for Fissidens bryoides (Lesser Pocket-moss) which has the virtue of being 'common' for a start and whose setae arise terminally on the shoots. I couldn't see any "bud-like male organs" in my sample. Here are some pics of capsules at various stages and another of leaves.






No comments:

Post a Comment