Friday 18 July 2014

Scything a Swathe and enjoying a rose

First the VibramFiveFingers go on; best things for grip on wet and sloping grassy ground.
They like to pick flowers.

My foot with a tween toes yellow pimpernel

The scythe is sharp. It has to be; grass is tough stuff.



A swathe (actually two swathes). Masses more to do but I only do a bit at a time.



The yellow pimpernels have been flowering since May
We also have its sister plant, Creeping Jenny


Later, tramping uphill again to put away tools, I enjoyed the den rose. This was smothered under brambles and ferns when we first came here. I don't know its name. I think it is quite old.


Frilly

Splashy

Opening bud with bird's-foot trefoil

Ferns still grow with the rose, and gorse, but I try to keep them in some sort of order. Brambles get short shrift; there are plenty of other places on the Boggy Brae for them to grow.

The den rose with gorse and a reflected rowan

The den rose with ferns

Both Male Fern (Dryopteris filix-mas) and Scaly Male Fern (Dryopteris affinis) grow there.
I've been learning how to tell them apart.

Male Fern (top) & Scaley Male Fern fronds – backs

Male Fern (top) & Scaley Male Fern fronds – fronts




No comments:

Post a Comment