Monday 21 July 2014

A Rose, a Blue Leaf-hopper, and some toadstools

Drank my early morning tea sitting in the sun on the front doorstep today. The spider silk between buds of the Irrepressible Rose caught my attention.


The first opening bud of the Irrepressible Rose.
It's a tiny rose.
First opened bloom 22 July measures 29mm across


The leaves of the old plum tree were catching the sunshine too and made a nice backdrop for the everlasting sweet peas. The south-east end of the front terrace is obviously the deep pink end!


Beside the rose the typical untidy look of unfurling Lady Fern was very clear.
Whether this clumpiness is common elsewhere, I don't know, but it's very common here.


Later, in a break from more scything on the slope below,  I spotted what at first I thought was a tiny blue moth. On closer inspection, I think it might be a Blue Leaf-Hopper.



It looks as if the Boggy Brae toadstool season has begun.

Hygrocybe coccinea, I think



No comments:

Post a Comment