Thursday 10 April 2014

Looking for Wood Sorrel

I went up the hill into the wood looking for wood sorrel because apparently it is already flowering further south. On the way up I noticed these seedlings crowded together where we have thrown mainly bracken to compost:



Here they are with some pignut leaves and moss for scale

I shall follow my usual wait-and-see course with unknown seedlings...

Leaving the garden

climb over fences and jump the burn

enjoying this tiny 'beach' that has formed between a fallen tree trunk and the bank. There is about four boots' worth of standing space on that beach.

Follow a deer track to the woodpecker tree (I often hear the drilling)

Wood chips on the ground and a hidey hole for small creatures

and more useful slits and holes further up.
 Near the woodpecker tree is a little glade full of bluebell leaves. I shall have to come up again in a week or so to see them in flower

There is old spruce and new spruce


But the wood sorrel I went in search of is not ready to flower here yet. This is as far as it has got:

Wander down the field and see that the fallen wild cherry tree still clings to life

 and flowers robustly











No comments:

Post a Comment