Friday 2 August 2013

Playing with camera settings or "From bread to carbon"

I made some bread rolls this morning. Toadlet is a bread dragon and I like bread too. So does Toad but he's on a self-chosen, low carb diet so Toadlet and I get to eat it ALL.

After I'd wiped down my kneading board (I just made the dough in the machine), something that has never possessed me before in the twelve years of the bread machine's life possessed me and I decided to wipe the underside of its lid, over the surface of which all the steam carrying twelve years' worth of miniscule particles of cooking bread and scorched splashes of dough had passed before escaping through the steam escape hatch.

The cloth was BLACK!

And the slightly soapy water I rinsed it in was well mucky!

This rare event had to be recorded and, not wishing to waste an opportunity to test the 'arty' settings on my Panasonic Lumix camera, which I've only recently discovered, I tried them out on the sink of water.

Here are the results:

Setting: "mini" – fuzzy corners, kinda 'browned'

Setting: "Toy" – even fuzzier and darker corners!

"high definition" – bright and light

"high def/expressive" combo – darker but perhaps clearer

"expressive/retro" – softer focus, pinkified

"high key" – lightened corners, and everything else!

"low definition" – darkened everything

"sepia" – darkened corners, good focus, probably the
nearest to the 'actual' colour of the water
If I've remembered correctly, the f number was 5.1 for all and the exposure time was 1/60th except for one of them, when it went down to 1/30th (maybe the darkest one?).


The wiped (not scrubbed) lid.
Not bad for twelve years' constant use!
It was pretty dark beforehand.
I guess I can leave it for another 12 years now ;-)
And these are the rolls:
"high definition" – hmm

"normal" with flash
The reality is somewhere between those two images, which just goes to show that the camera always, well quite often anyhow, without adjustments, lies. 

Fun playing. It seems you can combine the Expressive setting with several, or all, of the others. Ditto the Retro one. I'll wait for similar exciting photographic opportunity before testing some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment