Wednesday 10 July 2013

Some garden and some kid and grandkid news

This morning I went out to yank up Himalayan Balsam and dock and sorrel and brambles. The midges have not been too bad for a couple of days while it has been hot and dry, but the clegs, blast them, are fierce, so I was glad of my new midge jacket from Beaton's at Lochcarron





At the weekend I brought in some red clover and put it in a vase with some other wild flowers. This is what it looks like after it has been in water for a few days

Red clover



Grandsons

The surprised "How did that happen?' look on Manny's face
when he first rolled over always makes me laugh



Howie. Look what I just did!

And here is Howie, at nearly five months old, sitting up with the help of a toe grip:


More garden stuff


I was mowing grass and picking garden wildflowers while the men's final was happening at Wimbledon. Both these after I'd recovered from an over-reaction by my guts to something I ate yesterday. Coconut is the main suspect. IBS is yet another common 'side-effect' of ME. The flowers cheered me up.
Large bird'sfoot trefoil (the yellow one), Ground Elder (the white one),
Amphibious Bistort (I think! – the large pink one), and another pinky that grows well here.


Daughters


Toadlet spent the Wimbledon weekend with the Springboard Diver in Edinburgh. More about that later perhaps.


Springboard Diver persuaded me to enter some photos in the Royal Horticultural Society's annual competition. I entered three under the heading "Detail" and one under "Wildlife":
Heath bedstraw and moss (Polytrichum commune) by with a garden hose
that is 'stored' around an old tree stump.

Snow on lichen

Sulpur polypore fungus on old cherry tree

Grasshopper on chives and nigella seed head
(it seems to be smiling!)


No comments:

Post a Comment