Friday 25 October 2019

Rain later

This morning I woke to a starry, clear sky. The weather forecast said "rain later" so I cycled to work thinking that it wouldn't matter if I got wet on the way home. There was a ten percent chance of rain when I would be on my bike. Toad and I have often interpreted that ten percent chance, as the met office call it, to mean that we'll be in the raining ten percent of Argyll. This interpretation works well. Today I took a chance based on the clear and starry, crescent moon lit sky and got wet, well, damp. Hey ho.

Based on the weather forecast I expected to get wetter cycling home but as it happened the 40% chance of rain for that later time meant that my cycling home period was dry. So I had a chance to stop and chat to a raft of eiders on the loch. They were very chatty. There was even a wedge of blue sky over to the north-east.


 

It was light enough not to need bike lights by then but I have pinned to the back of my Aran cycling jersey the back half of the reflective whatsit that Toadlet used to wear when walking to school in the winter. I also have reflective stuff round my ankles. I'm one of those strange, old-fashioned people who just wears ordinary clothes for cycling.


Even without that whatsit the light wool should be easily visible in car headlights. I have good bike lights too. Most drivers around here seem to know how to overtake cyclists properly but it never hurts to be hyper visible.



No comments:

Post a Comment