Sunday 2 June 2019

Number 64: end of an era. Owl pellets



The first part of the small note attached to the cotton wool on which these owl pellets and bird feet rest says: "17/12/1971, StC". I think this means the date of collection, or at least of deciding to store them in the box, was in December 1971 when Jig, the collector, would have been eleven. "StC" probably refers to St Chad's churchyard in Poutlon-le-Fylde.

Our Uncle, who knows an ornithologist or two, and thinks they might be able to do some DNA analysis on the pellets and feet, took them away with him after Mum's funeral and wake only 48 years after they'd been labelled.

We also found Jig's athletics badges. He doesn't know what the Italian one is about. For many years the pole he was using when he came first in the Blackpool schools' pole vault event was stored in the maid's loo at Number 64 (see The Pantry). It was in two pieces because when Jig tried to beat his personal best after the event, it snapped in two. Nothing daunted, Jig bounced off the landing cushion and ran over to ask if he could keep the broken pole. The badges and medals are now, with Jig's permission, in the possession of my elder grandson, who collects such things.


Eldest brother, Jed, was also athletic. His forte was cross country and hill running and he was Victor Ludorum for his year.

I didn't take to netball and hockey but did end up, somehow, in my school lacrosse team. I guess I was better at running with a ball in a net contraption than guiding it with a curve-ended stick or throwing it to someone else. I use my garden rake like a lacrosse stick sometimes to chuck stuff onto compost heaps.

I don't recall Smudge or Teedee being much involved in school sports but no doubt they'll fill me in with details if required. Smudge has been a keen walker all her life.




No comments:

Post a Comment