Saturday 2 March 2019

Plum wine and alder catkins



Brought some junk up from the cellar this morning and the last four bottles of homemade wine from Oxfordshire days. This one is plum. Toad put it in the fridge but I'm afraid it might turn the milk sour so I've moved it to a corner of the outhouse. The concrete floor should keep it chilled. Toad thinks it would go well with lemon drizzle cake. Hmm. I'm actually planning to make almondy marmalade shortbread this weekend.

I did a run to the dump with the junk plus some dug out fuchsia roots. If you lie those down on wet ground here (and it's very rarely not wet at least in part; at the moment it's sodden) they shoot out more roots and bed themselves down. Next thing you know you've got another unwanted giant fuchsia trying to take over the world. Anyway, on the way back I stopped off to check the lochside alder trees: the catkins are opening.



No comments:

Post a Comment