Saturday 23 February 2019

Lophocolea Stump Part 3

I had an enjoyable morning bumbling about on the south slope of the garden. I saw my first two bees of the year foraging in the gorse that grows against the den (Toad calls it his studio).
First bee I've seen; spot the spider also.

Between scything swathes of the main Whorled Caraway patch, I took some pics of the old spruce stump that I nicknamed the Lophocolea Stump on account of this liverwort covering its top surface. More about that can be seen here in an old post. Below are some of today's photos showing its progress or rotting down, breaking down and being broken down–magpies in particular seem to like jabbing at it.


Whorled Caraway leaf and the patch I scythed and raked. It will fill with pignut flowers and then whorled caraway as the year progresses.


What's growing on the stump. I need to gen up on moss names. There are at least four mosses including a polytrichum, what I think is Common Tamarisk Moss, Springy Turf Moss, as well as Heath Bedstraw.


The west and east faces of the stump today:


No comments:

Post a Comment