Sunday 29 April 2018

Sticks and elderflower cake

Last June friends helped us with some tree lopping including of this prunus species on the front bank. This was at the end of a busy afternoon so I turned down their offer of help to clear up the branches. Four days later I fell and broke my arm. I did shift some of the more scattered logs and twiggy bits but not this pile. I probably added to it actually!

And so it has stayed there over the winter as more urgent garden jobs came up. As spring approached I thought of tackling it again but then noticed what was growing into it: primroses.




I decided to leave the sticks be for now rather than risk ripping up the flowers. Lower down the bank a lot more primroses have seeded, making a cheering sight through this year's cold spring.

Up the bank from that pile of sticks and the tree they came from is a single self-seeded cowslip. I've put a cage round it to prevent it being cropped by roe deer. The other day I found a tiny mushroom beside it.



I'm never short of other branches to tackle. Yesterday Toad helped me remove these and a couple more from the ridiculous dragon hedge down the drive then informed me he'd invited some archers to come and shoot here today! "They'll want cake!" I said. Toad said not and I'm sure they'd be perfectly charming about there being no cake at a Boggy Brae archery shoot but it's a tradition now! More notice of such events in future has been requested from Toad.

Found a recipe for elderflower cake so I'd better get cracking assembling ingredients.

The Lesser Celandines by the pond were looking particularly luminous yesterday.




No comments:

Post a Comment