Saturday 3 June 2017

The back terrace is staying un-mown for now

Having slain one of the ponticum dragons that was blocking my view to the pond (I say slain but it'll grow again; I'm going to try and keep it small), I was very excited to find three Northern Marsh Orchids growing on the back terrace! I'm so glad I only thought about mowing there this week!






There are now five of these dotted about, all self-sown. I did try to grow some from seed but failed so I'm pleased these have turned up voluntarily.

The single Southern Marsh Orchid is coming along too but it takes longer to colour its flower.
Southern Marsh Orchid


I just learned from Fuchsias in the City (@Fuchsiarius) that my pale fuchsia is probably Fuchsia magellanica 'Alba'. Nice to know its name at last. I had thought it was 'Hawkshead' but Fuchsiarius says that variety should have a pure white corolla. You can see some pink in this one.

So, dragonly, orchidly, and fuchsialy a satisfying day, not to mention a kind friend digging out some orange tights for me to wear with a dress I was thinking of wearing to my mum's 88th birthday lunch in a few weeks' time.

perfect match!

No comments:

Post a Comment