Saturday 28 January 2017

The north-east kitchen door

I've taken off the door into the hall and studied its lifetime biffs, scratches and worn-from-use details. I found Toad's planing tool that had been left in a boat to go rusty. He sharpened the blade and had a go at planing a little off the bottom of the door. It has been jamming on the carpet for all the time we have lived here!


Some details around the glass panels suggest that they were not always there but put in by a DIY-er wanting more light to get into the hall. The glass is firmly set but I've bought some putty to fill the gaps. When we put the door back I want to find a way of preventing it from banging against its jamb when it is shut in a hurry. Toad and Toadlet don't do gentle door shutting much and the old sprung catch (also not the original door closing equipment, I'm sure) didn't help. Over the years I've tied various bits of rag from handle to handle, after the fashion of those cushion things you can get so toddlers don't trap their fingers.



Why the hinges, which are designed to have four screws in each side only had three each is a mystery. One of those impatient to get the job done and then forgotten about necessary 'updates', perhaps? Some more age details below. The scratches were not by our cat (or chickens).

(We never had a cat!).


This is my favourite detail of, quite literally, wear and tear. I love the wood growth waves and I think the little worn indentations, which are near where the door handle was, have been caused by people's fingernails biffing the door while grabbing the handle.

Whoever woodstained the hall side of the door
didn't take the handle off when they did it.
It's not going to look like this when I've finished!
Note the string bag anti-slam device hanging from the handle.
Next up in the kitchen decorating saga is moving that bookcase and the shelf with the CD player.

No comments:

Post a Comment