Saturday 8 October 2016

Letting the light in

My view to the north from up in the top south corner, sipping tea before I started my bonfire a couple of days ago. I'm making the most of a spell of dry weather. Stuff in the house has to wait at times like this. Dry weather spells here remind me of having a baby in the house. Other than keeping the kitchen and bathroom hygienic and  feeding everybody, housework becomes even less important than usual while you drop everything and attend to baby needs. Tending to the Boggy Brae garden works a bit like that too.

Same principle as making hay while the sun shines, I guess.

It used to be very dark under the big cypress up there and if you weren't a chicken, it was difficult to get into the space underneath its low branches. When two of its several trunks began to keel over a couple of years ago some light got into the dark spaces. I decided to let in some more. Some of the low branches have been sending roots down. I don't really want any more of these trees so I'm cutting back the smaller low branches, burning the dead (and some not dead) foliage, and making a wood pile. Any excuse for a bonfire? Well, maybe ;)



Dead bracken stalks make good fire starters.

After I'd put away tools yesterday, tramping up and down between the shed, the house and up top, I spotted this drowsy deer just a few yards from the back door. I think she might be quite a young one. She seemed unconcerned by my presence.





No comments:

Post a Comment