Wednesday 30 September 2015

Cleaning a drain


This picture of a hill seepage drain that carries water round our house was taken at the end of July. Between then and now it had got more overgrown. It was time to do a bit of clearing.



So I went at it and got to this.


I had to pull moss and liverworts from underneath the grating. You can watch the constant trickle of water that seeps under our back terrace from the hill above even in dry(ish) weather as we've been having.

And the birds sing along...



When I moved a flat stone from near one corner of the grating, a little frog jumped out. It went under an old door that is leaning against wood in the woodshed (to keep some of the rain off the wood) so I could safely carry on strimming.


 


Found what I think is a Wild Radish (Raphanus raphanistrum) plant in the undergrowth I was strimming. There is masses of this all along the sea wall down the hill.









And so the drain is ready for winter. The chicken wire is to keep leaves out.


No comments:

Post a Comment