Monday 17 August 2015

A Moss Hunt

Yesterday I was kindly allowed to tag along on the regional field meeting of the Scottish section of the British Bryological Society. It was inspiring to be in the company of such bryologically knowledgeable people and it was lovely to be on the eastern side of Loch Lomond on one of the best summer days, weatherwise, that we've had this year.

We were on the new RSPB Loch Lomond site. We ate lunch beside the loch. As we were packing up to move on after lunch, I had one of those moments of brain not in the right gear moments and started a rucksack rummage in search of my glasses which, during lunch time, I knew I'd put down on top of the open rucksack. What I hadn't remembered is that I'd put them back on. Rory Whytock, the meeting's recorder, after a bemused moment, told me that I was wearing some glasses! Ah well, it shows they are comfortable enough that I forget they are there, and since my eyesight was very good until fairly recently, being able to see properly is the default my brain goes back to in my, ahem, more senior moments!
 

From the lunch spot we wandered along the western edge of the long spit between Endrick Water and the loch. I loved the mud boulders caused by erosion of the bank by wave action from the west. There'll be a lot of this as the prevailing winds are from the west. Cattle kept on the reserve who go for drinks there and other visiting animals (us, for instance!) will help the process along at times.
Mud 'boulders' on the eastern shore of Loch Lomond

Another little detail of bank erosion that pleased me. And below a larger inlet presumably made in a similar way.

Looking east at an inlet where Amphibious Bistort is growing


The bryology team at work. I forget the name of the species they were searching for at this point. My brain's bryology shelf had reached fully loaded by this time and I was content to look at various species I hadn't seen before without knowing their names. I brought home three small samples to look at more closely at my leisure.

Thanks again for welcoming me on this moss walk, folks. It was much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment