Wednesday 27 May 2015

Path to the yarrow patch










This morning, before the rain came, I mowed a path from near the shed to the main yarrow patch and marked it out with posts and a spare length of washing line.















To the left in the photo is the base of the fallen eucalyptus. I checked out its climbing properties for my grandchildren; yep, it'll do.

There is a way up the slope from its low end on the right, or you can climb up from the tree trunk. plenty of tufty grass to hang onto. From the top you can look down the length of the trunk which is good for walking along and jumping off.

Eucalyptus tree trunk

From the top of the root ball you can admire the rhododendron I am calling "Pale Pink Glory" after a similar one in the Shrubs book by Phillips and Rix.



When I tipped the mower in order to brush the underside, a robin came by. It seemed to be finding plenty to eat where the mower had been. Kept an eye on me the whole time.

Sedum under the Golden Cotoneaster
I cut back some of the golden cotoneaster that you can see on the right in the first photo of this blogpost so that the Sedum (Sedum spectabile/Ice Plant) could get some more light and possibly try to flower. There are quite a few shoots of it but the cotoneaster roots and shoots have rather smothered it.

As I was chucking bits on compost heaps I noticed a few tiny red spots on the ground. I think they are Common Eyelash Fungus (Scutellinia scutellata). A new species for the list.

Common Eyelash Fungus
Magnifying loupe is to give a sense of scale


No comments:

Post a Comment