Friday 19 September 2014

Avocado seedlings

Those plants growing on a compost heap


alongside a crop of Hare's-foot Inkcaps
with little bract-like leaves on their stems...

Well, I began to have an idea so I hoiked one out to check if I was right. I was. It's a crop of seedling avocados! Must be cosy in there. I might pot one of them up for indoors, or may be I'll just leave them in situ and see what happens.


Meanwhile, making the most of the unusually dry weather (actually, September's often a good month weatherwise in western Scotland), I'm off out to continue indulging my inner pyromaniac. Some while ago, Toad said he'd make me a shed up at the top of the garden. That was before he'd made any sheds. Then he made a bike shed and realised it was harder work than he'd anticipated. Further shed-building being now a pipe dream, I decided to raise the canopy of the monster Rhododendron ponticum in order to make myself a den in which I can use my Kelly Kettle. The larger branches I will stack for firewood, the smaller ones feed the fire.


And here's a wee bitty heather from a usually boggy brae in Scotland, UK:



No comments:

Post a Comment