Saturday 14 June 2014

Glasgow Botanic Gardens

My friend Little She Bear and I paid a visit to Glasgow Botanic Gardens. We took our time wandering around the glasshouses, overtaken repeatedly by faster viewers as we stopped to peer at tiny things and to marvel at southern hemisphere plants. We reached saturation point long before we'd seen everything or even done the riverside walk so we'll have to go back again. One thing about the outside that struck me was that, where meadows had been left to grow, those of the Boggy Brae compared well. I didn't, for instance, see heath bedstraw or tormentil or pignut. Chuffed.

Now browse and enjoy some sights from the glasshouses:






















Out of this "furry" stem

This grows




Yellow flowers closed

Yellow flowers open and the seed heads forming

Large onion-like basal 'stems'

from which sprout this fine-leaved greenery

Euphorbias aplenty that I wouldn't have recognised as euphorbias without the labels!

A plant whose leaves look like a plait (hair braid)




DerbyshireDaughter would have loved the succulents house. I will take you there at the first opportunity :)

No comments:

Post a Comment